Jump to content
  • 0

IEP123
 Share

Question

My child has an ADHD diagnosis, but does not hold a medical autism diagnosis, despite displaying a lot of characteristics of a child on the spectrum, most of which are worsened during the school day.

 

I know it's common for a child to receive a medical autism diagnosis and not qualify educationally, but is the reverse also possible? Can I ask for him to be evaluated for educational autism, even though he doesn't have medical autism per a recent neuropsych? Or maybe the neuropsych got it wrong...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
1 hour ago, IEP123 said:

My child has an ADHD diagnosis, but does not hold a medical autism diagnosis, despite displaying a lot of characteristics of a child on the spectrum, most of which are worsened during the school day.

 

I know it's common for a child to receive a medical autism diagnosis and not qualify educationally, but is the reverse also possible? Can I ask for him to be evaluated for educational autism, even though he doesn't have medical autism per a recent neuropsych? Or maybe the neuropsych got it wrong...

I'm not familiar with educational autism, but I don't believe schools can evaluate to the point of a diagnosis.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
27 minutes ago, EmilyM said:

I'm not familiar with educational autism, but I don't believe schools can evaluate to the point of a diagnosis.

Thanks! To be clear, I don't want a diagnosis, I want to know if he can qualify for educational autism aka meet criteria for eligibility for special education under the ASD category 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
1 hour ago, IEP123 said:

My child has an ADHD diagnosis, but does not hold a medical autism diagnosis, despite displaying a lot of characteristics of a child on the spectrum, most of which are worsened during the school day.

 

I know it's common for a child to receive a medical autism diagnosis and not qualify educationally, but is the reverse also possible? Can I ask for him to be evaluated for educational autism, even though he doesn't have medical autism per a recent neuropsych? Or maybe the neuropsych got it wrong...

Honestly Overlap is usually the "rule" not the exception. From what I can see in most Neurodivergent advocacy groups identification is almost more important than a diagnosis. As long as your child gets the support needed I think that's the best goal to have. 💕

image_2794a391-912e-4a3d-8587-2f04bbe34b2620221031_151511.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
1 hour ago, IEP123 said:

Thanks! To be clear, I don't want a diagnosis, I want to know if he can qualify for educational autism aka meet criteria for eligibility for special education under the ASD category 

Ah, that makes far more sense. In that case, that seems likely if the focus is a academic need.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

I have heard of children qualifying for services under the Autism eligibility category despite not having a medical diagnosis of Autism. Many times it's because it can take a year or more to get evaluated by a medical professional in some areas. In my experience, I truly want the child on paper to reflect the child that is standing in front of me. However, at the end of the day, if a "label" is the only thing keeping them from getting the service and supports that they need, any eligibility category is better than none. Services, goals, placement, etc. are supposed to be based on needs of the child and not eligibility category or diagnosis. 

  • Like 2

Michigan mother of two with IEPs, and owner of MI Student Advocacy Services. Trying to change the world one IEP at a time. 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use