Anxiety w Timed tests

Lauren2677

Question

My 9yo has an allotment for extended time in her recommendations from a Neuropsychologist as well as listed in her IEP. There is no language about the percentage of time increase. Her 3rd grade class has daily timed math fast facts. If she doesnt get it completed a new sheet comes home to do. She came home from school with several layers of skin chewed off her thumb. I addressed the school re the anxiety and the best they offered was to "give her another Math sheet to work on while everyone else is completing their daily fast facts, then send her fast facts home to complete. I have recommended partial transcribing (also listed in neuropsych report) and they refuse to do that. How can I address these issues? Does her IEP need to be more specific? 

2 answers to this question

• Moderators

Just to make sure I'm understanding correctly, if your daughter does not finish the math fast facts sheet in the time allotted for the rest of the class, she has to start over with a completely new fact sheet and do it at home?  That would be a violation of her IEP because it's not giving her extended time.  She should be allowed to do what she can in the time allotted and take it home to FINISH - not start over.  And she should be told this ahead of time - that it doesn't matter if she finishes or not - to relieve her anxiety.  You should also add something to the accommodations in her IEP that state she should not be spending more than one and 1/2 the amount of time that others in her class spend on homework.  That way she isn't required to finish the math fast facts sheet if it takes her several hours.  There are other ways to assess her understanding of math facts.

I would request an IEP meeting to address the fact that the IEP is not being followed with respect to "extended time" and ask for the additional accommodation listed above.  In the meeting, I would also re-ask for the partial transcribing accommodation and if they refuse again, ask them to put their refusal in a Prior Written Notice (or whatever this may be called in your state).

Your understanding is correct. Thank you for that reply and great suggestions. She came home today and said she didn't want a different paper when everyone else did their work and kids ask why she gets something different. Her goals are not specific and do not meet her needs. She his high risk for math LD as well as reading. I've been working on a document to address the school. Thank you again!!