Elopement

Catz9

Question

10yr old asd level 1, severe inattentive adhd, anxiety 

I found out the other day by a parent that has started volunteering in my 10yr old son's classroom, that he has been eloping from the classroom. On this particular day he did it twice. She asked the teacher if he does it often. Teacher told her 2-3 times a week! 

The school has NEVER told me about this! She said the students were busy doing group work and the teacher was walking around. Then the teacher saw my son was gone, called the office and after a few minutes they found him around the bathrooms. 

I have sent two emails and stated I wanted to have a meeting and discuss putting a safety plan in place. Yesterday while picking up my son the teacher came out from around the corner and said she was speaking to the special Ed instructor about this. I told her I wanted a meeting with everyone there 

What should I do? I do not have proof this has been happening all year. I only have this parents word.

4 answers to this question

• Moderators

Here is what I would do:

1) Send an email to the classroom teacher asking for an estimate of how often your son elopes on a weekly basis.  (Exact dates would be nice, but doubtful she kept track of this.)  Also ask who she speaks to in the office when she calls them.

2) Email "the office" (whoever that might be and copy the principal) asking if they have any documentation of times the office has been called regarding your son's elopement.

3) Email the 504 coordinator and ask for a meeting.  (Getting a 504 in place will be quicker than getting an IEP and through it you should be able to put some safety measures in place.)

4)  Email the special education teacher and copy the principal asking for an IEP evaluation.  If you do not receive a response, send again and copy the director of Special Education.

5) Put everything in writing, but it sounds like you are already doing this.  If someone from the district calls you to discuss the elopement episodes, take good notes with dates and times and then send a follow-up email listing out what you were told (and anything else you discussed that is relevant - what will be done in the short-term, etc.) and that if this is an incorrect summary of the phone call to please respond with clarification.

• Like 1

On 4/8/2023 at 11:05 AM, Carolyn Rowlett said:

Here is what I would do:

1) Send an email to the classroom teacher asking for an estimate of how often your son elopes on a weekly basis.  (Exact dates would be nice, but doubtful she kept track of this.)  Also ask who she speaks to in the office when she calls them.

2) Email "the office" (whoever that might be and copy the principal) asking if they have any documentation of times the office has been called regarding your son's elopement.

3) Email the 504 coordinator and ask for a meeting.  (Getting a 504 in place will be quicker than getting an IEP and through it you should be able to put some safety measures in place.)

4)  Email the special education teacher and copy the principal asking for an IEP evaluation.  If you do not receive a response, send again and copy the director of Special Education.

5) Put everything in writing, but it sounds like you are already doing this.  If someone from the district calls you to discuss the elopement episodes, take good notes with dates and times and then send a follow-up email listing out what you were told (and anything else you discussed that is relevant - what will be done in the short-term, etc.) and that if this is an incorrect summary of the phone call to please respond with clarification.

This is the email I received. I wasn't even a part of the meeting for the behavioral plan like I asked to be.

Screenshot_20230412-103912~2.png

Your volunteer friend may have violated FERPA by telling you that your son eloped from the classroom.  I would tread lightly with moving forward.

I think you need to write to the teacher & cc the principal as well as the sp ed director/supervisor.  Mention your concern for his safety.  Reiterate that you feel a 504 plan might be a good interim way to put a plan in place while the school looks at determining if your child qualifies for an IEP.  A student needs to have a disability to qualify for either an IEP or a 504 and from what you've written, he may qualify.  He is not being adequately supported at school if he's eloping.  He needs more than the school currently is providing him.