Advocate's

Kendra mackenzie

Question

Can you have an advocate while homeschooling. I had a lawyer that was going to work pro bonda but the couldn't take my case because I am homeschooling and the school can't garintee fape. I understand that privet school don't have to fallow iep and homeschooling can be considered private school but how would this fall under child fine if fape can't be given. Are there any free or low costs advocates in Massachusetts 

2 answers to this question

Of course you are entitled to an advocate.  Your child is entitled to FAPE and the school obligation to provide it is required under the law . The school has no choice. The HSDL has information that you can use to help guide you and for talking back points. Home school children can not be forced into public school to receive FAPE .. There are time they will want to provide service in school on a individual bias  but that can not always force that either. Child find and all the testing applies absolutely they cant force you to prove it     https://hslda.org/search?indexCatalogue=content-search-index&searchQuery=Special Education

• Thanks 1

On 10/11/2022 at 1:21 PM, dfilaski said:

Of course you are entitled to an advocate.  Your child is entitled to FAPE and the school obligation to provide it is required under the law . The school has no choice. The HSDL has information that you can use to help guide you and for talking back points. Home school children can not be forced into public school to receive FAPE .. There are time they will want to provide service in school on a individual bias  but that can not always force that either. Child find and all the testing applies absolutely they cant force you to prove it     https://hslda.org/search?indexCatalogue=content-search-index&searchQuery=Special Education

Hi thank you I will try to look up hslda.org to see if they can help. Was told by a lawyer that they couldn't represent me because these could not garintee fape if I homeschool my kid is in the 11th grade. I am honestly not sure if it's too late to ask for any help