Balance of Power in IEP Meetings?

Persistently Persistent

Question

We had our first IEP meeting, following the assessment. There wasn't enough time and they started late, so we have a date for the second half coming up. I just got the invitation to the follow-up meeting. I notice that they've added three new administrators to the list of attendees! The district IEP facilitator for our child's grade level facilitated the first meeting, and will be returning. The new attendees are the Deputy Director of Special Ed for the District, the principal of her school, and a vice principal from her school! (hard to believe two administrators for a school with 900+ students are available to participate in one little girl's IEP, but there ya go...)

Having four top administrators (who we don't know, and who don't know our student) significantly changes the complexion of the meeting. Dad is feeling intimidated. He wonders if that's their intention. Is there anything about this in the Sped law, that districts can't overwhelm parents with their presence? (One additional concern I have is that the line staff, the only other people in the room who actually know our child, will not feel free to speak up with so much brass in attendance.)

3 answers to this question

It's the school party with holding an IEP meeting so they control who is invited.  You want people who know the child, know the disability or know what the school can do for the child so these folks do fit the bill.

Yes, it is intimidating sometimes to both parents & school staff.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I agree with JSD24 - the school has wide latitude in who they bring.  You can question it, however.  Four administrators does seem like overkill.  Since they don't know your child or the disability, the only reason for them there is to be the person that can commit school resources (the LEA).  But you don't need FOUR people for that role.  Depending on how "brave" you are, you could reply to the meeting invitation asking for the role each participant will be playing.  If four are for the exact same role, you could ask why this is needed.

I would also advise reaching out to an advocate agency (your state department of education could help with this) so you can bring someone else for your "team." Or you could bring another relative, family friend, coach, etc., who knows your child and has a "strong" personality.

Finally, I would look into whether your state offers facilitated IEP meetings.  If so, I would definitely ask for one in this case.  Neutral facilitators make sure that the parents are not intimidated and that all participants are equally heard.  Sounds like you may need someone to ensure a level playing field.  It also tends to make sure everyone shows up on time - one of your other issues.

• Like 1

Also depending on the situation and why they feel the need for this much administration it can work in your favor...our District SPED director has come to some meetings and actually gotten the school to realize that I am correct with what I am asking for. (IE agreed on ESY, but I said we would be gone for the traditional time frame, and the school tried to be all too bad so sad, but director stated that since we agree on ESY it can be done outside the normal). Also we tend to have both principals involved because kiddo is a behavior so having both means they are both on the same page when problems happen. With that said be prepared and know the laws and what your kiddo needs with data.

• Like 1