PWN

Luisa

Question

Hello,

So I just read your article on PWN´s. Amazing how even though I am a special education teacher and do annual review meeting all the time, I was unaware of this. 

Just curious...This time last year, my son, who had an IEP through the school district for UPK did not qualify for an IEP going into Kindergarden. 

Two meetings, two hours each, the second meeting had an advocate and still they were budging on giving him an IEP for his autism diagnosis because it was not impacting him academically. I don´t recall ever getting a PWN for that meeting. Can I ask for it now ( a year later? ) 

Mario, 5

diagnosed with Autism Level 1 at age 2

Currently with 504

Lorenzo, 11

diagnosed with ADHD inattentive type, Anxiety, ASD

currently with IEP 

receiving PT

class accommodation 

Employed as the special education teacher in an inclusion Math class at a local high school. 

3 answers to this question

I would.  the only thing they can say is yes, here it is or no.  I recently received a PWN I had asked twice for , for a request I had made.  After receiving the PWN I  realized we were talking about two different things!

If you can't get them to put it in a PWN for you, you can always put it in writing yourself and send it to the special ed director. The important thing is creating a paper trail. 

As far as your son not getting an IEP, does he have behavioral or life skills issues that interfere with his learning? Students do not need to be receiving failing grades to qualify for an IEP. They need to have skill deficits that are impacting their learning and/or their ability to access the curriculum. If you disagree with the school's evaluations you can always request an Independent Educational Evaluation (IEE) at district expense.

Michigan mother of two with IEPs, and owner of MI Student Advocacy Services. Trying to change the world one IEP at a time. 

So the school assessed in all areas of suspected disability & he doesn't qualify for an IEP?  I'm surprised.  I suspect he has delays in social skills & pragmatics.  Were those areas assessed?  You can ask for an IEE at school expense if the school missed an area of need when they assessed him.