Preschool Retention

Kaitlyn

Question

Hi everyone. I’m looking for advice.. I have an almost 5yr old daughter. She has an extensive IEP and has significant delays (overall 24 months developmentally) She has been placed in an OOD preschool program this past school year. The team, including our private neuropsych is suggesting repeating preschool next year with a PM kindergarten program (all being at the OOD placement ) I am torn on what to do. I originally thought that was the perfect plan but now I’m doubting it. I would love her to be at her home district and I think with the right supports she may do just fine. The biggest concern from the IEP team is her inability to focus and complete table top tasks and socially she struggles to be “appropriate “ in their eyes but I’ve seen immense progress there. Any advise ?!

3 answers to this question

• Moderators

Does your public district offer only AM or PM kindergarten instead of full day programs? Would she be doing PreK in the am & K in the pm? Would she receive a rest period, if you feel she needs that? Has she been doing PreK all day? 

What did the district say was their reason for choosing an out of district placement? IDEA requires that the team consider the least restrictive environment for each child. An out of district placement is a restrictive environment. What supports did or does she need that the district couldn't provide? Does she still need those supports? Does the district have the proper supports available in kindergarten? 

The OOD school offers half day pre k as well as full day K. Currently she is in half day prek and an ABA clinic in the PM (don’t get me started in that ) 

yes they are offering AM prek PM K. They are concerned with her inability to attend to tasks specifically table work and she’s still working on very basic pre academic. This past year was focused mostly of behavioral interventions. 
The explanation I received from our distric regarding OOD placement again is that she will benefit from another year of PREK still building. Specifically academically. 
She requires an extensive amount of support. 1:1 at all times,sensory breaks,unable to attend to a task for more then 40 seconds. I just don’t know what to do. 

K these days is like 1st or 2nd grade when I went to school.  Kids need to focus & learn.  You don't say what state you're in.  Every state has standards that students need to learn.  Do a search:  standards in ___ (your state).  Read them over for K.  Do you feel your child will be able to learn all this a year from now with how she's progressing?  If the answer is no, another year of preK is probably the right choice.

I tend to be for staying with same-age classmates.  IMO, there's more benefit to extra sp ed post HS than pre K.  With some students, they just aren't ready for this and you need to lay a good foundation to build on.  With a 40 second attention span, I just don't see her meeting K standards unless this changes a lot over the summer.  (You said she's at a 24 month level.  These standards are for age 60+ months.  That's a huge difference.)