Motor skills in teens

I've only ever seen motor skills and OT/PT related to younger students. 

How do you approach a high school regarding a teen who is unable to participate fully in Phys Ed due to symptoms of a gene mutation? She is required to get PE credits for graduation but is not participating in the class. Mostly sitting on the bench. She will get credit but she isn't receiving physical education (and her PT/OT is outside school).

I've read about Adaptive PE for autistic students who also have low muscle tone but can't find anything that applies to students who need modification for similar physical needs only. 

Student lives in TN and previously had an IEP but moved and the new school pushed for a 504 which is mostly leaving classes early to be on time for the next class. 

APE is for any student who cannot access a typical PE class.  You see capable students who can't deal with an echoy gym having APE as well as students who have physical limitations who needs to have modifications to the curriculum to participate more fully.  https://adayinourshoes.com/wp-content/uploads/IEP-goals-and-objectives-bank-printable.pdf  Does the school have a teacher who is certified to do APE?  I think an IEP is needed to have APE - it's specially designed instruction due to a disability.

16 hours ago, JSD24 said:

APE is for any student who cannot access a typical PE class.  You see capable students who can't deal with an echoy gym having APE as well as students who have physical limitations who needs to have modifications to the curriculum to participate more fully.  https://adayinourshoes.com/wp-content/uploads/IEP-goals-and-objectives-bank-printable.pdf  Does the school have a teacher who is certified to do APE?  I think an IEP is needed to have APE - it's specially designed instruction due to a disability.

I'm not sure if they have a qualified teacher since it's a small town and we don't know what grounds to insist on an IEP. It's kind of a chicken and egg situation. She needs an IEP to have the APE but they changed her IEP to a 504  when she moved there.

You need an eval that shows a service is needed to have an IEP but you might be able to put accommodations into the 504 for better participation in PE.  Ask for the PE teacher to come to a 504 meeting to see if they have suggestions on what can be done to modify PE where she's doing more than bench sitting.  If they don't have suggestions, an eval for APE might be the next step.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/1/2023 at 2:01 PM, Lisa Lightner said:

Any updates?

School is just starting this past week. Her mom has been in the hospital but an aunt talked to the school. They had never evaluated her last year because it wasn't  requested when she moved into the district. They just swapped her to a 504. The aunt had mom put a request in writing so she should be getting evaluated. I explained to Aunt (my mother in law who asked me how all this works since my own son has an IEP) that there are probably other areas she's pushing through not realizing she could be getting assistance, like with note taking since she tires easily when writing. Aunt talked one on one with the teen and she had no idea. So now we wait for evals. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Did the student move from one state to another or just within the same state?  I'm pretty sure if she moved to a different state that the new school district cannot dismiss a child from special education without doing their own evaluation first  And the previous IEP stays in effect until then.  Check your state's department of education website and/or call them about this.  The school district changing her to a 504 may be a procedural violation.

• Administrators
On 8/19/2023 at 12:41 PM, Carolyn Rowlett said:

Did the student move from one state to another or just within the same state?  I'm pretty sure if she moved to a different state that the new school district cannot dismiss a child from special education without doing their own evaluation first  And the previous IEP stays in effect until then.  Check your state's department of education website and/or call them about this.  The school district changing her to a 504 may be a procedural violation.

Yes, this. At this point, at the very least, you have one year of services that she hasn't been receiving. I'd been speaking with an attorney by now, because it sounds like you're owed some comp services.