IEP disaster in California….any recommendations on schools/districts in PA?

Janis

Question

First, I must say that A Day in Our Shoes has been my lifeline and enabled me to get IEE’s for both of my kiddos as well as compensatory services  that have finally started. 

Unfortunately, our district, and SELPA in California are shameless. (Paid out $46 million to twins with special needs a few months ago).

I’m strongly considering putting us all on a plane  and moving back to Yardley, Pa so we can be with my mom.

That would put my twins in middle school in the Pennsbury school district.

If you have heard any reviews and are comfortable sharing, I would love to hear them.  Or if there is a stand-out school or district in that area that you know of, please let me know. My twins have different needs but overall top priorities I’m seeking are: no tolerance for bullying, competence with SLD (written expression), social skills, and outside physical activity (games, soccer, basketball, etc.).  My kiddos still have fine motor struggles but have always been exceptional with gross motor skills….one is a sponsored skateboarder🤷‍♀️.  And the IEE for one kiddo found him to have math skills at college level, which qualifies him as twice exceptional here.

Things are just so bad here that I am getting a home medical note to avoid truancy retaliation while figuring out where we should go.

I greatly appreciate any recommendations, ideas or thoughts🙏

2 answers to this question

I'm in a Facebook group that covers that area.  I haven't heard much in the way of complaints about Pennsbury SD.  I can't answer your questions but the group on Facebook is Main Line Special Needs Parents.  You might want to ask them.

Compensatory services might end when you move.

• Administrators

Yardley, Bucks or Montco?

I stick to my side of the city, usually Chester, Delaware, Lancaster and Berks counties. And into DE and MD.

Honestly, I've heard great success stories from the "worst" districts and have had absolute nightmare situations with clients in the "best" districts and everything in between.

I would look online at the ODR site and see how many due process cases they have and what they look like, for starters. But nothing is a guarantee.

https://adayinourshoes.com/move-iep-friendly-school-district/