Jump to content
  • 0

504 to IEP?



I have a 13 y/o who has been on a 504 since the 3rd grade. At that time she was diagnosed with ADHD and SLD in reading and writing.  At the time the report suggested a 504 accommodations for her ADHD and a 'tutor' doing Orton Gillingham for SLD. She's in a charter. At the time we signed on for the accommodations. Now she is in 8th grade, same charter, and we've realized that while she is doing decently in her studies, she does this with "work arounds" she's figured out vs. having the actual skills. Example would be listening to audio books vs. reading for book reports/reading assignments. Brilliant work around and now an accommodation but not the actual skill. SO - my question, I would now like to get her on an IEP and help her 1-2 hours a week with some reading/writing support.  Not asking a lot but think it would help her moving in to high school and onwards. We are starting the process with the school soon but any tips and hints would be much appreciated. 

We are coming armed with old reports and testing and "data" because that's what they keep telling us the need....

Cheers, KC 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
  • Moderators

As Lisa stated, the first step is to request an evaluation.  Do that AS SOON AS POSSIBLE to get the clock started (schools have 60 days from consent to completion of IEP and the sooner you get that process started, the better).  Make the request in writing (an email) and follow up every few days if you don't receive a consent form (the 60 days starts from the date you give consent - NOT from the date you make your request).  Request an evaluation in the areas of academics (pointing out specifically her struggles in the area of reading and writing).  Provide them with your data.  You could also request an evaluation in the area of social/emotion for her ADHD, unless you are good with the accommodations she already has on her 504 Plan (you would want to make sure all these get transferred over to the IEP document if found eligible).  The school will very likely also insist on doing an intellectual/cognitive evaluation (IQ test), depending on what they use to determine eligibility for special education in the area of specific learning disability, unless she has one on file already.  Once you receive the consent form, make sure it is checked off for all the areas you want assessed.

If the school refuses to evaluate, request an Independent Educational Evaluation (IEE).  Or you could have your own done (especially if what you have is "old"), which you may or may not be reimbursed for, depending on the outcome.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

The last page of this has a template for requesting a sp ed eval:  https://www.elc-pa.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/getting-a-special-education-evaluation.pdf  You need to start there.  The other thing is that a couple hours a week to remediate a student who has SDL in reading is predetermination which isn't allowed with IEPs.  Many programs are daily for 40 - 60 minutes in order to see progress.  You wouldn't want this for 60-120 minutes per week if you want to unteach bad habits of relying on accommodations & make up for the delay in Child Find.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use