Pros and Cons of enrolling part time

Christi Blunt

Question

10 answers to this question

Looking at Missouri law, you may be responsible for transportation to and from school if it doesn't mesh with the typical school schedule. You also may have very little law on your side on trying to create the best part-time schedule. There's also the chance of too many years in the school more than you want to deal with, combined with potential delays in curriculum.

The pro is you'll have plenty of time in the day for ABA therapy. 

It's not the worst plan if you're willing to extend the school years. 

The big con is a lack of time for the school to provide access to the state curriculum where your child might fall behind with learning the state standards.  Since is seems like this isn't a goal and your child will most likely graduate with a certificate & not a diploma, it's not a con to consider too strongly .  Another con would be if this didn't mesh with state truancy laws.

Is he in a self-contained life-skills classroom?  If he is, they have to have the right ratios in the room - even if he's only there part-time.  It could rub the school the wrong way.  Would homeschooling make more sense?  What benefit is he getting from his attendance in school?

The pro of any child's education is for them to learn the skills they will need after they graduate HS.  Every student needs different skills depending on their life's path.  If ABA is the thing your child needs, that's what they should get.

• Moderators

Hi Christi.  I'm an advocate in Missouri, but unfortunately not an expert in ABA therapy.  I would suggest you reach out to the Missouri Disability Empowerment Foundation (MoDE).  They offer free advice.  I also know of a paid advocate in Missouri who is more familiar with this area than I am.  You can contact me at the email address below if you want her contact information.  (MoDE also offers grants to help pay for advocacy services.)

Carolyn Rowlett

crowlett@dyslexiaadvocates.net

I think your best bet is to consult with the IEP team to see what this would mean for the student. I think a lot of the pros and cons have been addressed here, now it's time to see what the actual outlook for the student would be. They also might be able to come up with some alternatives. 

3 minutes ago, Christi Blunt said:

Thank you all for your help.  We are trying to get the school to provide transportation to ABA therapy at 1:00 each day but the school won't.  I was trying to search all options to make this happen.  I don't think we can win this unfortunately.

Sadly, not from what I understand about Missouri's laws, especially if at that point the kid is no longer in school, technically.

21 minutes ago, Christi Blunt said:

Thank you all for your help.  We are trying to get the school to provide transportation to ABA therapy at 1:00 each day but the school won't.  I was trying to search all options to make this happen.  I don't think we can win this unfortunately.

I hate to make it the family's problem, but is it possible they have someone in the home or a friend who could handle the transportation?

8 minutes ago, EmilyM said:

I hate to make it the family's problem, but is it possible they have someone in the home or a friend who could handle the transportation?

Unfortunately, the mom is having health problems and also wants to go back to school. Dad works full time. The family was moved here for a job so I don't think they have family here.  Mom tried to hire someone to transport but she stated that has been a nightmare.

• Sad 2