Reading help

Kendra mackenzie

How do I know if my high schooler really needs help with reading the school said no because gort5 was at about a 16 percentile to 14 percentile  wiat4  pseudo decoding was like 21 percentile. But word reading fluency and reading comprehension was below 7th percentile wiat4 said the reading level was at about the 4th or 5th grade level. I  do think most of the problems are with fluency and comprehension but should the school have provided a specialized reading program for this. It's just so hard to know with out being able to afford a advocate or anything. 

Many school psychologists are not trained to identify reading problems and, unfortunately, they are the people who do evaluations for sp ed.  Layer on top of this that the "skills" teachers teach in the early grades are the things non-readers do to mask their reading disability which will make it harder to figure out who is disabled.  In your shoes, I would request an IEE done by someone trained to identify a reading issues that includes dyslexia.  Any person in the 7th percentile for  word reading fluency and comprehension, IMO, needs more testing to see why that component is so low.  One test cannot be used to say a student is dyslexic so there should be a deeper dive when you see scores like this.  https://adayinourshoes.com/iee-independent-education-evaluation/  You will probably need a neuropsychologist to do the IEE.

One thing you can request in the short term is RTI or MTSS in reading.  This is a gen ed program and given your child's low scores, they should meet the criteria for this sort of help even though the school's eval said IEP level of intervention isn't needed.

Hi Kendra. Did the school do a full special education evaluation? Or did they just give him a couple of reading tests to measure his reading levels? If they did not do a full evaluation, then I would start by asking for a full special education evaluation for SLD. If they did do a full special education evaluation they should've  done other tests as well that tested the underlying cognitive processes that are involved in helping us learn to read. Let me know. I will be happy to help you understand the data (if there is more), or to get you started on requesting a full special education evaluation. 

10 hours ago, JSD24 said:

Many school psychologists are not trained to identify reading problems and, unfortunately, they are the people who do evaluations for sp ed.  Layer on top of this that the "skills" teachers teach in the early grades are the things non-readers do to mask their reading disability which will make it harder to figure out who is disabled.  In your shoes, I would request an IEE done by someone trained to identify a reading issues that includes dyslexia.  Any person in the 7th percentile for  word reading fluency and comprehension, IMO, needs more testing to see why that component is so low.  One test cannot be used to say a student is dyslexic so there should be a deeper dive when you see scores like this.  https://adayinourshoes.com/iee-independent-education-evaluation/  You will probably need a neuropsychologist to do the IEE.

One thing you can request in the short term is RTI or MTSS in reading.  This is a gen ed program and given your child's low scores, they should meet the criteria for this sort of help even though the school's eval said IEP level of intervention isn't needed.

Thank you I am trying to get an IEE but they won't do a neuropsych just the educational testing I am having a hard time finding someone who takes my insurance and state rate. She does have a dyslexia diagnosis and was recommended for Wilson or og.I will ask about RTI but I am homeschooling. 

1 hour ago, Kendra mackenzie said:

Thank you I am trying to get an IEE but they won't do a neuropsych just the educational testing I am having a hard time finding someone who takes my insurance and state rate. She does have a dyslexia diagnosis and was recommended for Wilson or og. But the school didn't agree I will ask about RTI but I am homeschooling. So I am not sure if I qualify 

8 hours ago, CRC said:

Hi Kendra. Did the school do a full special education evaluation? Or did they just give him a couple of reading tests to measure his reading levels? If they did not do a full evaluation, then I would start by asking for a full special education evaluation for SLD. If they did do a full special education evaluation they should've  done other tests as well that tested the underlying cognitive processes that are involved in helping us learn to read. Let me know. I will be happy to help you understand the data (if there is more), or to get you started on requesting a full special education evaluation. 

I think it was a full evaluation they did speech and language testing gort5 wiat4 and the wisc5 she does have a dyslexia diagnosis and was recommended Wilson or og a few years ago but the school didn't agree but she hasn't made progress maybe if you want to help me look at the testing. 

On 10/21/2022 at 10:32 PM, Kendra mackenzie said:

How do I know if my high schooler really needs help with reading the school said no because gort5 was at about a 16 percentile to 14 percentile  wiat4  pseudo decoding was like 21 percentile. But word reading fluency and reading comprehension was below 7th percentile wiat4 said the reading level was at about the 4th or 5th grade level. I  do think most of the problems are with fluency and comprehension but should the school have provided a specialized reading program for this. It's just so hard to know with out being able to afford a advocate or anything. 

I forgot to mention that I am homeschooling and I am using equipped for reading success and toe by toe I am hoping to start stride ahead I just don't know if the school should do something because she does have an iep 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kendra mackenzie said:

I think it was a full evaluation they did speech and language testing gort5 wiat4 and the wisc5 she does have a dyslexia diagnosis and was recommended Wilson or og a few years ago but the school didn't agree but she hasn't made progress maybe if you want to help me look at the testing. 

I sent you a message with my email.

Hi! In my state, public school does not help with Dyslexia for homeschoolers. I would verify that your state is different before I put too much more effort into testing.  There are several good programs that are available that you could use in your homeschooling. Heggerty, Logic of English, All about Reading, Sunday are some that are popular in the Homeschool community and often work well.

• Thanks 1

CM

• 2 months later...
On 10/25/2022 at 10:39 PM, Christy McGuire said:

Hi! In my state, public school does not help with Dyslexia for homeschoolers. I would verify that your state is different before I put too much more effort into testing.  There are several good programs that are available that you could use in your homeschooling. Heggerty, Logic of English, All about Reading, Sunday are some that are popular in the Homeschool community and often work well.

Thank you Christy McGuire. I am using equipped for reading success and toe by toe. I just started stride ahead. My school says they are going to offer tutoring services for English language arts and They still don't believe she needs district reading services but they will they will help with reading comprehension at this point. I will take what ever I can get 😌 

Important Information

Terms of Use