Prek/K

Kaitlyn

Question

Hello everyone. I have a 5 yr old daughter. The team did not feel she was ready for the demands of kindergarten. So this school year we decided to do another year of preK and introduce afternoon kindergarten. It is not going well in kindergarten. She is completely dysregulated and melting down in class. The RBT is unable to focus on anything besides “behavioral management “  They are proposing the do a full day of prek and ABA clinic 2 days a week. This requires a PWN correct ? They have sent me no paperwork whatsoever and the meeting was a full week ago… thanks! 

5 answers to this question

There should be an IEP meeting with all required members where placement gets discussed.  The PWN to change the placement should be issued soon after the IEP meeting.

I think an email is in order.  Dear sp ed teacher-  We met on October 20 and discussed changing XX's placement to 2 days of ABA & 3 days of Pre-K.  I have yet to see the IEP & PWN reflecting these changes.  Please send me a copy of the IEP ASAP.  Thanks.

There was a stretch of time that schools in my area weren't sending parents finalized IEPs.  I think attorneys got involved & that changed.  I know my district sends most things via email.  Did they email it as an attachment?  Did it go to Spam?  Was it too big for your email box?

Lisa , they would like to focus on pre academic skills and task completion with ABA. The original plan was for her to attend the afternoon kindergarten to be exposed to the social aspect of the class (the afternoon is less academic) but she has shown so much dysregulation during that time, it was giving her no benefits. 
The is pretty complicated , do you feel they should be focusing on self regulation at all?