Son must read texts out loud to understand them

Hello!

I have been doing research to try to figure out how to inform/educate my son’s teachers that reading his texts out loud is how he understands the material.

My son is a junior in high school.  

Unfortunately, he has three classes where students are expected to read silently for most of a 90-minute class period (As a retired English teacher of 25 years, don’t even get me started on my thoughts on this matter. I rarely asked students to read silently in class without a specific reason and/or audio support.)

I am hoping that some of you may have suggestions on what you said and/or recommended to encourage teachers to support your child in their need to read aloud to understand their reading.  Did you ask for your child to sit in a different location?  Did your child have an adult nearby to redirect if needed?

I am also thinking ahead to when my son goes to college.  

Thank you for any advice you can provide!

Regards,

Karen

Audiobooks with headphones so he's not disturbing others sounds like the accommodation he needs.  I don't see where they would allow him to read aloud in a classroom.  Teacher should not be doing this without the accommodation listed out in an IEP or 504.  A resource room makes sense but then they need an aide to supervise and he'll disturb anyone else using the room.  Colleges will be able to provide audiobooks.  The HS's evaluation showing this is needed is what they are going to look for to provide this.  Some colleges will do what's in the IEP as far as accommodations go but they want data to support the need.

Sounds like he's an auditory learner.

You're also going to need data to support what you're asking for.  Do you have this?  Schools don't accommodate w/o data.  They may want to their own assessment which would likely require your written permission to do.  You want this data in an eval written by someone other than you.

As for college, I would venture to say most courses would have him reading on his own study time with class time used for lectures/discussions, so it might not be an issue. Audiobooks are often just as available as the regular textbooks. 

On 4/16/2024 at 11:21 AM, Elemeno said:

The first thing that popped into my head was stuff like tests/worksheets with individual questions to be read. I'd look into a separate testing room for those as not to disturb others.

Extra time might also be needed.  I'm pretty sure that reading aloud takes longer than when you read to yourself w/o speaking.  This would level the playing field for this student.  It would also be something they probably need in college.