Yay!! Finally!!

Mommytina

Question

It’s never taken me so long to figure out how to post on this site. Thank goodness I finally can. I have tried emailing Lisa a couple times but I know she gets a ton of emails every day. I need help, my son is in kindergarten, he has cerebral palsy, he has an IEP and gets PT. Thursday the team met and the principal told me my son wouldn’t be allowed in 1st grade if not potty trained without a drs note. Also the playground is not accessible. It definitely sounded like a threat about the potty training. There is a lot more details but I know I share too much so please someone tell me possible nexts steps. I’m in Massachusetts 

thank you,

tina 

2 answers to this question

9 hours ago, Mommytina said:

It’s never taken me so long to figure out how to post on this site. Thank goodness I finally can. I have tried emailing Lisa a couple times but I know she gets a ton of emails every day. I need help, my son is in kindergarten, he has cerebral palsy, he has an IEP and gets PT. Thursday the team met and the principal told me my son wouldn’t be allowed in 1st grade if not potty trained without a drs note. Also the playground is not accessible. It definitely sounded like a threat about the potty training. There is a lot more details but I know I share too much so please someone tell me possible nexts steps. I’m in Massachusetts 

thank you,

tina 

With a cursory search I still can't find just what Massachusetts' law on toilet training is, but it's likely in your best interest to get the doctor's note. A lot of states have buckled down on students, with no active documentation on medical/development issues with toilet training, being ready in that regard for school. 

The note should be easy to get.  I agree that this might be fallout with parents who are just too lazy to toilet train where there are students who have a disability (like yours) who have a more legitimate reason for there being a delay with this.

I didn't find anything saying that school playgrounds have to be accessible.  Also, there doesn't appear to be all that many accessible playgrounds in the state:  https://www.accessibleplayground.net/playground-directory/?cn-s=&cn-cat=37&cn-pg=1